The examiner might ask you about movies in part one of your IELTS Speaking test. In this case, they will probably ask, “What is your favorite movie?”
Let’s take a look at the best way to answer this question. Below, you can also read 10 good example answers (go straight to the answers here).
How You Can Answer
If you don’t have a clear favorite movie, just talk about any movie that you like or a movie you’ve seen recently.
The important thing is that you can remember the movie clearly and say a few things about it.
Using one or two sentences, you can talk about:
- What kind of movie it is (action, science fiction, romance, comedy, animated, fantasy…)
- What it’s about (very briefly)
- Why you like it (or used to like it)
- What happens (or happened) in the movie
- Who the main characters are
- Who stars in the movie (the actors)
- Who directed the movie
- When you last saw it
- Anything else that comes to mind
A Common Problem: Translating Movie Names
Maybe you think of a movie you really love, but you don’t know how to say the movie name in English!
Don’t worry. It can be difficult to quickly translate the name of a movie into English.
If you don’t know the English name, just say something like ‘My favorite movie is an American action movie about two policemen who…‘
You can leave the movie name out, no problem. Just don’t waste ten seconds in silence trying to think of the English name.
But it might be a good idea to talk about a movie where you already know the title in English. Or choose a movie like Titanic, Avatar, or Avengers, where the name is the same in every language.
Focus on Fluency, Not Grammar
In part one, don’t worry too much about using complex grammar or vocabulary.
Part one is only to warm you up. It’s better to speak as quickly as fluently as you can, without hesitation.
For this, simple English is fine.
Use the Three-Step YES Method
Also, keep your answers short in part one.
Don’t make the mistake of speaking for too long in your answers. Just 10 or 20 seconds of talking is fine.
You can use the three-step YES Method for all your part-one answers. Just say:
- Your answer (say a movie you like)
- Explain your answer (say why you like it) or add more details
- Stop talking (let the examiner know you’re ready for the next question)
Here are 10 good answers, which you can use for ideas.
1. My favorite movie is a classic romance movie called Titanic. It’s about a poor young man called Jack who falls in love with a rich young woman named Rose on board a huge ship that sinks at sea. It’s very romantic and tragic. It’s very moving and it always makes me cry.
2. I love this amazing science fiction movie called Avatar. It’s about humans trying to get special resources from another planet, which has tall blue aliens living there. The special effects and action scenes are incredible.
Lord of the Rings
3. Lord of the Rings is my favorite movie. It’s a trilogy of three movies, really. I love it because I’m a big fan of fantasy and I’ve read all the books as well.
The Lion King
4. I’ve always loved the Lion King, which is a wonderful animated movie about a young lion who has to become king of the animals. The best thing about this movie is the music, which is very inspiring and heart warming.
5. I think Avengers is such a cool movie. I love all superhero movies, but Avengers is my favorite. To my mind, Iron Man is the best character. He’s played by an actor named Robert Downey Junior.
6. I love Toy Story because I can watch it with my children and they love it as well. It’s a very charming story about toys that come to life at night.
The Big Lebowski
7. There’s a funny movie called The Big Lebowski that was a kind of cult classic movie when I was younger. I love it because the protagonist, who’s called Lebowski, is so laid back and hilarious.
8. My favorite movie is The Matrix, which is a really popular science fiction film. The plot is totally mind-blowing. And the fight scenes are out of this world.
9. I’ve always loved the Harry Potter movies. I love fantasy stories like that, and I’ve also read all the books.
Don’t Know the English Name
10. My favorite movie is a film from my country about a soldier who goes to war to protect the people he loves. It’s a very moving story about brotherhood and friendship and making sacrifices for people you care about.
Now, It’s Your Turn
Give this question a go yourself. It’s best to practice by recording yourself.
Set up a voice recorder and ask aloud, “What is your favorite movie?”
Answer as quickly as you can, using the three-step YES Method.
When you’ve finished answering, listen to yourself, and think of any ways you could improve your answer.
Then… do it again!
Keep repeating this process and you’ll soon be ready for part one of your IELTS Speaking test.