You might be asked about the weather in part one of your IELTS Speaking test. The examiner may ask you, “What is your favorite season?”
Here’s how to answer this question really well, with 10 good example answers (go straight to the answers here).
What You Can Say
First, choose a season: winter, spring, summer, autumn (or fall). Then, describe why you like that season. You could talk about:
- Why that season has your favorite weather
- How the weather makes you feel in that season
- Things you usually do in that season
- Holidays, festivals, or other special events in that season
- Good memories from when you were younger in that season
- Anything else that comes to mind
Autumn vs Fall
These two words ‘autumn’ and ‘fall’ mean the same season. And both words are good English. You can use whichever one you prefer.
Autumn is used in British English and sounds a little more formal. Fall is American English, and is more commonly spoken around the world.
Answer As Quickly As You Can
In part one of your Speaking test, you should only focus on two things:
- Warming up (relaxing and becoming more confident)
- Fluency (speaking quickly, without hesitation)
So don’t hesitate while you try to think of clever vocabulary in part one. Just speak as quickly and confidently as you can.
Simple English is fine in part one. Remember, you are only warming up in part one.
The examiner will be impressed and happy if you answer quickly, without hesitation.
You can show off your more advanced vocabulary and grammar in parts two and three when you will be better prepared.
Use the Three-Step YES Method
Your part-one answers should also be quite short. Just 10 or 20 seconds each is fine.
Use the three-step YES Method in part one. This will help you remember not to speak for too long. Just say:
- Your answer (say which season you like best)
- Explain your answer (say why you like it)
- Stop talking (wait patiently for the next question)
Now let’s take a look at 10 good band-seven answers to this question about seasons.
1. My favorite season is summer because I love the sunshine and everyone in my city is much more cheerful when the weather is hot.
2. I’ve always loved the summer because as a student I get a long summer holiday. To my mind, summer is a time for relaxing, having fun, and traveling to new places.
3. My favorite season is definitely summer because the weather is lovely and there are some wonderful music festivals in my country during the summer months.
4. I think my favorite season is autumn because the trees look so beautiful with orange and yellow and red leaves. It’s also cooler in autumn, and I don’t like very hot weather.
5. I love fall because I’m from Germany and we have the most exciting festival in October. It’s called Oktoberfest. It’s a huge beer festival that lasts for several weeks.
6. My favorite season is winter because I love the snow. My hometown sees many months of snowfall each year, and I really enjoy how peaceful and quiet and beautiful the world becomes when it’s blanketed in snow.
7. I suppose my favorite season would have to be winter. I started skiing a few years ago, and now I go skiing every winter, which is so much fun. I love it.
8. I love spring most because it’s the season when the world comes back to life after a long winter. All the flowers are blooming in spring. The trees are becoming green again and the birds are singing. It’s a season full of life and hope.
9. I think my favorite season is spring because the weather is perfect. It’s sunny but not too hot, like during summer. The air in spring is usually fresh and cool and that feels lovely.
10. My family and I like spring because spring is the rainy season in my country. We need the rain to water our garden and the crops in our vegetable patch.
Your Turn To Answer
Now, you give this question a go.
Turn on your voice recorder and ask aloud, “What is your favorite season?”
When you’ve finished, listen, find any mistakes, and answer the question again.
Keep repeating this process and you’ll soon be ready for part one of your IELTS Speaking test.