In part one of your IELTS Speaking test, you could be asked, “What is your favorite type of holiday?”
Read on to learn how to answer this question, including 10 good example answers (go straight to the answers here).
Don’t Make This Mistake
Notice this question asks what type of holiday you like, not what holiday you like.
So, don’t answer by talking about one holiday you like, such as:
‘My favorite holiday is Christmas.’
That is not really a correct answer. A better answer would be to describe the type of holiday you enjoy most, for example:
‘My favorite type of holiday is religious festival holidays.’
‘I really like adventure holidays, where you go diving or skiing or try something new and exciting like that.’
Different Types of Holidays
Here are some different types of holidays you could talk about…
- Public holidays
- National holidays
- Religious holidays
- Festival holidays
- Historical holidays
- Family holidays
- Holidays abroad
- Sightseeing holidays
- Activity holidays
- Adventure holidays
- Cruise ship holidays
- All-inclusive holidays
- Backpacking holidays
- Summer holidays
- Winter holidays
- Cycling holidays
- Hiking holidays
- Diving holidays
- Camping holidays
- Excursion holidays
- Farmstay holidays
- Luxury holidays
- Spa holidays
- Honeymoon holidays
- Volunteering holidays
- Anything else you can think of
How You Can Answer
First, think of any kind of holiday you like. Say what it is. Then you can say:
- Why you like that kind of holiday
- What you usually do on that kind of holiday
- How often you go on that kind of holiday
- Who you go with
- Where you go
- Where you’ve been before
- What you remember from the last time
- What kind of holiday you used to like as a child
- Anything else that comes to mind
Focus on Fluency
In part one, it’s important to start talking quickly. So just think of the first type of holiday that comes to your mind and talk about that.
Focus on fluency in part one. This means speaking confidently, without hesitation.
You can use quite simple English in part one, just focus on speed.
Remember that part one is only really to warm you up.
Don’t Say Too Much
Your part-one answers should also be quite short. Don’t talk for more than 10 or 20 seconds.
You can use the three-step YES Method to help with your part-one answers. Just say:
- Your answer (say what type of holiday you like)
- Explain your answer (say why you like it) or add a few more details
- Stop talking (let the examiner know you’re ready for the next question)
Read the following 10 example answers and see what ideas you can borrow for your own answer.
1. I most enjoy public holidays because everyone I know takes a day off at the same time. So I can relax at home or spend time with family and friends.
2. My favorite kind of holidays are festival holidays that celebrate special occasions like Christmas or Easter. I love all the traditional food and activities we do on those days.
3. I really like sightseeing holidays when I visit a new city or country and see the famous cultural sights there. On sightseeing holidays, I can take lots of pictures and learn many things about a different culture. It’s a lot of fun.
4. I love spending time with my kids so my favorite holidays are family holidays. For the past five years, we’ve been taking family trips together to interesting places like Disney World.
5. Ever since I was young, I’ve always enjoyed camping holidays because it’s so relaxing and wonderful to escape into the great outdoors.
6. I most like backpacking holidays because I can travel cheaply, stay in affordable hostels, and make new friends wherever I go. I’ve been to many countries around Europe as a backpacker.
7. I don’t really like organizing everything on holiday, so my favorite thing to do is pay for an all-inclusive holiday somewhere sunny. I like having the flight, hotel, food, and entertainment all arranged for me.
8. To be honest, my favorite type of trip is a luxury holiday somewhere exotic. I love staying in the best hotels and pampering myself with lots of shopping and days at the spa.
9. I’m a school student so I love the summer holidays because I have two whole months free to play and spend time with my friends, without any classes or homework.
10. I enjoy cultural holidays where I can learn a great deal about the local culture. I once spent a summer living and working on a farm in Turkey, and it was an amazing, unforgettable experience.
Now, Your Turn To Try
Set up the recorder on your phone and ask aloud, “What is your favorite holiday?”
Try to answer as quickly and fluently as possible, without hesitation.
When you’ve finished, listen to your answer and try to notice any mistakes or hesitation.
Keep repeating this process, improving a little each time, and you’ll soon be ready for part one of your IELTS Speaking test.