In part one of your IELTS Speaking test, you might be asked, “Do you like outdoor activities?”
Keep reading to learn how to give a great answer to this question. Below, you’ll also read 20 example answers (go straight to the answers here).
If You Do Like Outdoor Activities
Say that you like them, then give one or two examples of outdoor activities you like. Here are some popular outdoor activities:
- Walking in the park
- Horseback riding
Then add another sentence or two. It’s easiest to describe the outdoor activity you most like. You could say:
- Why you like that activity
- How often you do it
- How long you’ve been doing it
- How you first started doing it
- What’s the best season or weather for it
- When you usually do it (what time of the day, week, or year)
- Who you do it with
- When you last did it (and describe that experience)
- If you’re planning to do more of it in future
- Anything else that comes to mind
If You Don’t Like Outdoor Activities
No problem. Just say that you don’t like them, and add a few more sentences. You can talk about:
- Why you don’t like them
- What indoor activities you prefer
- If you used to like any outdoor activities when you were younger
- Any outdoor activities you’d like to try one day
- Someone you know who likes outdoor activities
- The last time you did an outdoor activity (and describe that experience)
- Anything else you can think of
Focus on Fluency
Remember that part one is only to warm you up.
You don’t need to use very complex vocabulary and grammar in part one (save all that for part two).
Just focus on speaking as fluently as you can. This means speaking quickly, without hesitation.
It’s easiest to do this if you use quite simple English.
Just think of the first thing that comes into your mind and start talking about that.
Use the Three-Step YES Method
To help you give the right length of answer, you can use the three-step YES Method for all your part-one answers. Just say:
- Your answer (say ‘yes, I do’ or ‘no, I don’t’)
- Explain your answer (say one outdoor activity and why you like it)
- Stop talking (wait patiently for the next question)
In part one, it’s important to know when to stop talking. The examiner doesn’t want to hear very long answers in part one.
Remember, they have many questions to ask you in part one, so just speak for 10 or 20 seconds for each question. That will be fine.
You can give much longer answers in parts two and three of the test.
‘Yes, I Do’ Answers
Now let’s take a look at some good example answers for people who enjoy outdoor activities.
1. Yes, I do. I really enjoy hiking in particular, because it gets me outside and away from the city. I frequently go hiking in the mountains near my city, and it’s always a very relaxing experience.
2. Yes, I love going hiking with my friends. It’s great to stretch my legs and see some wonderful views while out in nature.
3. Yes, I do. I enjoy many outdoor activities, such as hiking and cycling. I’m a big fan of cycling and I often ride my bike to work or around the forest near my home.
4. Yes, I love outdoor activities. It’s really nice to get some sunshine and fresh air. And I think it’s good for your mental health too. My family and I go for a walk and a picnic in our local park almost every weekend.
5. Yes, I’ve always enjoyed getting out into nature. I’ve been regularly camping since I was young. My father used to take me on camping trips, which I enjoyed a great deal.
6. I suppose I do like outdoor activities. I’m actually an avid gardener. I spend several hours each weekend watering my plants and tending to our little vegetable patch.
7. Well, I love playing outdoor sports. I’m a big fan of football. I play a little football with my friends a few times a week, and every now and then we play a proper match against another team.
Walk in the Park
8. Yes, I like doing things outdoors. When the weather’s nice, I often go for a walk in the park with my kids. They really enjoy playing frisbee and ball games on the grass.
9. I love outdoor activities related to water. I live in a coastal city and I sometimes go sailing on the ocean. It’s a wonderful experience. Very refreshing.
10. I really enjoy outdoor activities such as sightseeing when I’m on vacation. It’s such a good feeling to stroll around a new city, taking in all the exciting new sights and sounds.
11. I think I do like outdoor activities, yes. I’m crazy about photography and so I spend a lot of my time outdoors, searching for beautiful scenes and scenery I can take photos of.
Good For Your Mood
12. Yes, I suppose I do like outdoor activities. I think it’s important to get outside in the fresh air and sunshine. It’s good for my mood and it gets me my daily dose of vitamin D.
Not Enough Free Time
13. Yes, I do. But to be honest, I don’t have enough time to do many outdoor activities. My work keeps me super busy all the time.
14. Yes, I do like outdoor activities. But unfortunately, I can’t spend much time in nature because I have strong allergies. It’s a pity.
‘No, I Don’t’ Answers
Here are some examples of people who don’t like outdoor activities.
15. To be honest, I find outdoor activities to be really boring. In my free time, I prefer to do something in town with my friends, or something entertaining at home.
Used To Like Them
16. These days, I’m not really a fan of outdoor activities. But I remember I used to love hiking in my hometown when I was a lot younger.
Prefer Computer Games
17. No, I don’t. I’m not really interested in doing things outdoors. I spend most of my time playing computer games, which is definitely an indoor activity.
Family Likes Them
18. No, I don’t. But my family loves outdoor activities, so I often get dragged along on camping or cycling trips.
Others Like Them
19. I’m not a big fan of outdoor activities. But I suppose I can understand why other people enjoy them. Some people love to spend time in nature, with all the animals and trees and things.
Would Like To Try
20. I’ve never really liked outdoor activities. But now that I think of it, I’ve never really tried many outdoor things. I’d like to try fishing one day. I think that would be fun.
Your Turn To Answer
Now give this question a go yourself.
It’s best to record yourself, so set up the voice recorder on your phone and ask aloud, “Do you like outdoor activities?”
Afterward, listen, and correct any mistakes you made. Keep recording your answer until you’re speaking fluently, without hesitation or many mistakes.
This is an excellent way to prepare for part one of your IELTS Speaking test.