In part one of your IELTS Speaking test you might be asked the simple question, “What color do you like?”
Let’s look at the best way to answer this question for a band-seven score. Below, you’ll also see 10 good model answers (go straight to the answers here).
How To Talk About a Color You Like
First, choose a color, then you can talk about:
- Why you like that color
- How that color makes you feel
- What kind of things usually have that color (green like leaves, red like roses, white like a wedding dress…)
- What clothes you like to wear in that color
- What symbolism that color has (for example, blue symbolizes trust, calmness, and friendship… you might need to do some research for the symbolism of the color you like)
- Why you liked that color when you were a child
- Anything else you can think of
Keep Your Answer Simple
Remember that part one is a warm-up for the test. So the part-one questions are very simple and you only need to give very simple answers.
Don’t try to use clever vocabulary or complex grammar in part one. Only focus on answering quickly, without hesitation.
This means focusing on fluency.
The Three-Step YES Method
You can use the simple YES Method to answer any part-one question. Just say:
- Your answer (say the color you like)
- Explain your answer, or add a few more details (with one or two sentences)
- Stop talking (wait patiently for the next question)
A mistake many students make in part one is talking too much. But remember that the examiner has 10-12 questions to ask you, in only four to five minutes.
That’s a lot of questions in a short period of time. So they don’t want you to talk a lot. Ten or 20 seconds is fine for each question.
So in part one, just focus on fluency: answer smoothly and quickly, and don’t make mistakes. Short, simple answers make this easier.
Read these 10 example answers, and borrow some ideas for your own answer.
1. I really like red because red is a very passionate color, and it’s also the color of fire. It’s a very hot and energetic color.
2. I think my favorite color is blue, which is such a peaceful color. Blue is the color of the sea on vacation in Spain.
3. I like green because it’s the color of plants and grass and nature. I love spending time outdoors, surrounded by trees, and I like wearing green clothes too.
4. Purple is one color I’ve always liked because purple symbolizes wealth and success. I think purple is such a beautiful color, which you can see in many flowers, like lavender.
5. I usually wear black clothes and I like black in general because it’s a very serious and professional color. And black isn’t vivid and distracting like most other colors.
6. I really like white because white is the color of purity, like a wedding dress. It’s a very clean color, which is relaxing to look at. The walls of my home are all painted white for that reason.
7. I suppose I’ve always liked yellow, because yellow is the color of the sun. It’s a lovely warm color that makes me feel alive and joyful.
8. I really like deep, rich brown, like the color of really good chocolate. Brown is also the color of wood and earth and natural things, so I think it makes me feel quite calm. I also like wearing brown shoes and belts.
9. To be honest, I like the color gray. I know it seems like a boring color, but I think it’s nice because it’s calm and quiet and elegant. And as you can see, I like to wear gray clothes.
10. I love bright orange because it’s a very energetic color. It’s vibrant and fun and makes me feel like doing some exercise.
How You Can Prepare
To prepare for this question, choose a color you like, then think about what you could say about it.
Look up (research) what that color symbolizes, and think of some common things which have that color.
But, once again, don’t worry about using advanced vocabulary in part one of the speaking test.
As we said before, the only important thing to focus on in part one is fluency – answering quickly, without hesitation. Even if you say a very simple answer, that’s ok in part one.
Now, you have a go
Switch on the voice recorder on your phone and ask yourself aloud, “What color do you like?”
Answer quickly and well, using the YES Method.
When you’ve finished, listen to your answer, and write down what you said. Then think about any way you could improve your answer.
Then do it again!
Keep on repeating this process. It’s the best way to prepare yourself for part one of the IELTS Speaking test.